PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence-based scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, social equity, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas, power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and energy transitions. Much of our positive, dedicated, and high-functioning team is based out of our headquarters in Oakland, CA with staff also located across the United States.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field between communities, the media, policymakers, and the private sector by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
PSE Healthy Energy is looking for an environmental scientist or environmental health analyst with a background in water quality and/or air quality. The candidate will assist and collaborate with PSE scientists and senior scientists in evaluations of how energy choices impact natural resources (e.g., groundwater, surface water) and public health. Energy systems of interest include, but are not limited to oil and gas development, electricity transmission and distribution, gas- and coal-fired power generation, and integration of multiple cleaner energy technologies in energy transitions. Strong candidates will have the capability to extract, organize, clean, analyze and interpret datasets from state and federal agencies and existing studies on the environmental, health and climate dimensions of energy production and use.
It is not expected that a single candidate will have expertise across all these areas- we’re seeking candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas and have some interest and capabilities in others.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research: The ability to extract and compile data, conduct data analysis, synthesize and aggregate relevant papers or research, edit documents and reports, analyze and visualize data, and support specific PSE projects and initiatives is strongly desired.
- Education and outreach: write clear scientific explanations through media and blog posts; communicate scientific concepts directly to citizens, decisionmakers, NGOs and the media; and produce summaries of findings and rapid response analyses for the public and decision makers.
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require the applicant to possess most of the following, with some capabilities in the rest and an enthusiasm for learning:
- A master’s degree or bachelor’s degree with work experience in environmental science, environmental health, geology, geochemistry, engineering, petroleum engineering or related field
- Experience compiling and working with, cleaning, managing and interpreting large datasets and conducting statistical analysis
- Strong writing skills for both scientific and lay audiences
- A proven record of being able to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Scientific and moral integrity
- Able to productively provide and receive feedback
- A desire to learn
- A sense of humor
- Experience working with database and statistical packages such as Microsoft SQL and R.
- Experience working at the science-policy interface
- Experience with or interest in public speaking (conferences, panels, etc.
Oakland, CA. Remote locations will also be considered.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary and compensation is competitive and commensurate with education, experience and geographic location. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, 15 days of vacation, paid sick leave and 11+ paid holidays.
Please submit a resume or CV and provide cover letter OR responses to application portal questionnaire online here by June 14th, 2021. Applications received by May 31st, 2021 will be given priority review.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.