PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence-based scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, social equity, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas, power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and energy transitions. Much of our positive, dedicated, and high-functioning team is based out of our headquarters in Oakland, CA with staff also located across the United States.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field between communities, the media, policymakers, and the private sector by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
PSE Healthy Energy is seeking a full-time, entry-level Environmental Data Analyst to provide data collection and data entry support. This role will assist PSE’s staff of scientists, engineers, and analysts in building large databases that will be used to conduct environmental, climate and health assessments. Specific tasks for this position may include reviewing studies and reports, contacting public agencies to gain access to data, entering data into databases in a detailed and timely manner, and conducting data analysis. This position will require flexibility, collaboration with multiple team members, and responding quickly to changing research needs and priorities. An ideal candidate will be organized, dependable, have strong attention to detail, and demonstrated experience working in a research setting.
It is not expected that a single candidate will have expertise across all these areas. For this position, PSE is seeking candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas and have some interest and capabilities in others.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Data Collection & Entry: Accurately enter data into study databases in a timely manner; contacting state and government agencies to request datasets
- Data Analysis: Provide research assistance to scientists conducting quality assurance and quality control checks of the database
- Research Assistance: Conduct background research to support technical reports and manuscripts
- Communication and Collaboration: Able to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and able to confidently ask for assistance when needed
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the ideal candidate will possess:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in physical or environmental science, environmental health, engineering, data analytics, computer science, data science, or related field
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Capable of managing time on multiple tasks and prioritizing effectively
- Able to problem solve and think critically to achieve research objectives
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Able to productively provide and receive feedback
- A proven record of being able to work collaboratively and independently
- Scientific and moral integrity
- Attention to detail and a desire to learn
- A sense of humor
- Research experience as a student or professional
- Familiarity with oil & gas systems
- Familiarity with air permitting processes
- Demonstrated experience compiling and working with scientific data
- Experience with database software and/or development
- Experience with Google Workspace (Gmail, Google Docs, etc.)
- Familiarity with Slack
- Familiarity with R
Oakland, CA. Remote locations will also be considered.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation ranges from $50,000 – $75,000. Salary and compensation is competitive and commensurate with education, experience and geographic location. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, 15 days of vacation, paid sick leave and 11+ paid holidays.
Please submit a resume or CV and provide a cover letter -OR- provide responses to questionnaire prompts in the application online here by September 21st, 2022. Applications received by September 5th, 2022 will be given priority review.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.