PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence based, scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas development (e.g., “fracking” and enhanced oil recovery), power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and energy transitions. Our positive, dedicated, and high-functioning team is based out of Oakland, CA.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field for citizens, NGOs, the media, policymakers, agency staff, and elected officials by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
PSE Healthy Energy is looking for an environmental scientist or engineer with a strong background in hydrogeology and geochemistry or a geologist/hydrogeologist/geochemist. The candidate would assist in evaluating impact to natural resources (e.g., groundwater, surface water) and assessing risk to public health, with an emphasis on water pathways associated with oil and gas development. The candidate would have the capability to conduct geochemical modeling and assessment as well as interpret and synthesize studies and data involving major ion/element ratios and associated stable and radiogenic isotopes. While the emphasis of this position would be on studies involving impact to groundwater and surface water (including sediment) from oil and gas development, the ideal candidate would also have the capability to bring their geochemistry skills to questions regarding source apportionment of methane and other air pollutants.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research: Utilize strong investigatory, analytical and writing skills to conduct data analysis, synthesize and aggregate relevant papers or research, edit documents and reports, visualize data, and both support and lead specific PSE research initiatives. Geohydrological systems modeling, statistical analysis, and other associated technical skills strongly desired.
- Education and Outreach: Write clear scientific explanations through media and blog posts; communicate scientific concepts directly to citizens, decisionmakers, NGOs and the media; and produce summaries of findings and rapid response analyses for the public and decisionmakers.
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the ideal candidate will have:
- A Ph.D. or master’s degree with work experience in environmental science, geology, geochemistry engineering, petroleum engineering or related field
- Experience working with, cleaning, managing and interpreting large datasets and conducting statistical analysis
- Familiarity with geochemical software packages (e.g., PHREEQ, Geochemist’s Workbench) is strongly desired. Familiarity with statistical and data visualization software packages is encouraged
- Strong writing skills for both scientific and lay audiences
- Experience working at the science-policy interface
- A proven record of being able to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Scientific and moral integrity
- A sense of humor
Education and experience requirements
A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, energy systems, atmospheric science, environmental science, or related field.
Oakland, CA. Remote work will also be considered.
SALARY and BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. We provide a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation, and sick leave.
Please send a cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Oct. 1st, 2020.
Please put “Environmental Scientist-Geochemist” in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.