PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence-based scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, social equity, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas, power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and energy transitions. Much of our positive, dedicated, and high-functioning team is based out of our headquarters in Oakland, CA with staff also located across the United States.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field between communities, the media, policymakers, and the private sector by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
PSE Healthy Energy is seeking a full-time field research technician to support multiple environmental and public health research projects focused on national and international upstream, midstream and downstream oil, gas and energy transition issues. This is a full-time position that will work collaboratively with our PSE staff of physicians, scientists, engineers and data analysts. The position requires creativity, exceptional organizational skills, the ability to take initiative, careful attention to detail, and the demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with others within and outside of PSE. Successful candidates will also hold exceptional social skills as they will be interacting and coordinating with diverse populations throughout the United States and internationally. Candidates should also be proficient at using Microsoft Excel, Word and be able to carry out basic database management tasks. Ideal candidates will also have a background in scientific research and science-policy aspects of energy, public health, and the environment.
This role requires approximately 25% to 50% travel on average and maybe more at certain times of the year. Please note that this role may also involve moving and operating heavy equipment at times.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fieldwork and Data Collection: Travel to field sites to collect data.
- Fieldwork Coordination: Assist in the management and execution of outreach to people/households throughout the United States to enroll them in studies. Help to manage volunteer databases and communications with households and laboratories to facilitate smooth data collection and analysis.
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require the applicant to possess most of the following, with some capabilities in the rest and an enthusiasm for learning:
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 2+ years experience in research, research coordination or logistics
- Training or proven experience with field research
- Excellent writing, communication, and social skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capable of working on multiple projects and prioritizing effectively
- Able to productively provide and receive feedback
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to lift and manage heavy objects
- Ability to travel anywhere from 25% to 75% at any given time
- Possesses a State-issued driver’s licence
- Fluency in English, Fluency in Spanish is also a plus
- A desire to learn
- A sense of humor
- A bachelor’s or higher degree in environmental science, environmental health, engineering or related field
- Data analysis skills
Oakland, CA. Remote locations will also be considered.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary and compensation is competitive and commensurate with education, experience and geographic location. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, 15 days of vacation, paid sick leave and 11+ paid holidays.
Please submit a resume or CV and provide cover letter OR responses to application portal questionnaire online here by June 14th, 2021. Applications received by May 31st, 2021 will be given priority review.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.