PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence-based scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, social equity, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas, power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and energy transitions. Much of our positive, dedicated, and high-functioning team is based out of our headquarters in Oakland, CA with staff also located across the United States.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field between communities, the media, policymakers, and the private sector by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
PSE Healthy Energy is seeking a full-time, temporary field research technician through December 23rd, 2021, with possible extension, to support a research project focused on sampling gas from orphaned, idle and abandoned oil and gas wells in Northern Pennsylvania. However, the technician could potentially support other field projects depending on scheduling and other grant-funded work. This is a full-time position that will work collaboratively with our PSE staff of physicians, scientists, engineers, and data analysts. The position requires creativity, exceptional organizational skills, the ability to take initiative, careful attention to detail, and the demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with others within and outside of PSE. Successful candidates will also hold exceptional social skills as they will be interacting and coordinating with diverse populations throughout Pennsylvania and potentially surrounding states. Candidates should also be proficient at using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and Google Sheets and be able to carry out basic database management tasks. Ideal candidates will also have a background in scientific research and science-policy aspects of energy, public health, and the environment.
This role requires approximately 25% to 50% travel in and around Pennsylvania on average and maybe more at certain times of the year. Additionally, this role will require extensive fieldwork in Northern Pennsylvania, so the candidate will need to live near or travel to this area for an extended period of time. Please note that this role may also involve moving and operating equipment weighing up to 50-pounds at times.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Travel: Travel to field sites.
Safety: Strictly adhere to health and safety protocols.
Equipment: Calibrate and operate portable gas analyzers and other gas sampling equipment.
- Sample Collection: Physically collect samples and fill out Chain of Custody forms, keep detailed notes in field notebook, ship samples to commercial laboratories.
- Fieldwork Coordination: Assist in the management and execution of outreach and coordination to keep data collection moving forward. Help to manage others collecting samples and shipping samples to commercial laboratories.
- Communication: Communicate daily with the principal investigator and other scientists.
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require the applicant to possess most of the following, with some capabilities in the rest and an enthusiasm for learning:
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 2+ years experience in research, research coordination, or logistics
- Training or proven experience with field research
- Excellent writing, communication, and social skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capable of working on multiple projects and prioritizing effectively
- Able to productively provide and receive feedback
- Able to follow direction, work independently, and collaboratively
- Ability to lift and manage up to 50 pounds
- Ability to travel 25% to 75% at any given time
- Possesses a state-issued driver’s license
- Fluency in English, fluency in Spanish is also a plus
- A desire to learn
- A sense of humor
- A bachelor’s or higher degree in environmental science, environmental health, engineering, chemistry, geology, or related field
Data analysis skills
In or near Northern and Western Pennsylvania.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary and compensation is competitive and commensurate with education, experience and geographic location. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, vacation, paid sick leave and paid holidays.
Please submit a resume or CV and provide a cover letter or responses to the portal questionnaire online here by July 5, 2021. Applications received by June 15, 2021, will be given priority review.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.