PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence based, scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas development (e.g., “fracking” and enhanced oil recovery), power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and energy transitions. Our positive, dedicated, and high-functioning team is based out of Oakland, CA.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field for citizens, NGOs, the media, policymakers, agency staff, and elected officials by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
The Clean Energy Transition Scientist/Engineer will be responsible for research and data analysis across a range of projects and focus areas, including, but not limited to energy storage, grid resilience, greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions, and clean energy transitions in the power sector. The role will require being flexible, working with multiple team members, and responding quickly to changing research needs. Specific initial projects will likely address data analysis and visualization related to energy storage and resilience, and clean energy transitions in the context of environmental burden reductions and energy equity. The role will require both leading specific project components and supporting broader collaborative efforts. The ideal candidate will be comfortable conducting research and analysis while also communicating data and scientific information to stakeholders from non-technical backgrounds. The candidate should be self-motivated, willing to adapt to multiple roles, ready to bring new ideas to the table, and excited to work in an environment where there is always more to learn and there is always a new frame to put on a problem.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research: Utilize strong investigatory, analytical, and writing skills to conduct data analysis, synthesize and aggregate relevant papers or research, edit documents and reports, visualize data, and both support and lead specific PSE research initiatives. Energy systems modeling, statistical analysis, and other technical skills strongly desired.
- Education and Outreach: Write clear scientific explanations through media and blog posts; communicate scientific concepts directly to citizens, policymakers, NGOs and the media; and produce summaries of findings and rapid response analyses for the public and decisionmakers.
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, energy systems, atmospheric science, environmental science, or related field
- Experience working with and managing large datasets and conducting statistical analysis
- Python, R, Stata, SPSS, Tableau, GIS, air quality modeling, and/or other analytical and data visualization tools strongly desired
- Strong writing skills for both scientific and lay audiences
- Experience working at the science-policy interface
- A proven record of being able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Scientific and moral integrity
- A sense of humor
Education and experience requirements
A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, energy systems, atmospheric science, environmental science, or related field.
Oakland, CA. Remote work will be considered.
SALARY and BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. We provide a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation, and sick leave.
Please send a cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sept. 18th, 2020.
Please put “Clean Energy Scientist” in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.