PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence based, scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas development (e.g., “fracking” and enhanced oil recovery), power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and water and air quality. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA and also have staff in Chicago, IL and Seattle, WA.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field for citizens, NGOs, the media, policymakers, agency staff and elected officials by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
The methane practice area Senior Scientist will take a lead role in defining and expanding PSE’s work on methane emission sources, climate impacts and mitigation opportunities, particularly focused on the oil and gas sector. The Senior Scientist will work to establish thought leadership and a strong publication record in the field and define PSE as a premier outlet for rigorous scientific work in the science-policy arena. The successful candidate will bring exceptional and demonstrated expertise in climate change mitigation, the oil and gas lifecycle and energy transition issues.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Scientific Leadership: Establish national reputation as a thought leader on the intersection of methane emissions and oil and gas development and use; identify gaps in scientific understanding and design research studies on cutting edge science-policy issues; produce written assessments of results in peer-reviewed journals, white papers, and reports; articulate and translate relevant scientific literature into plain language to communicate across diverse audiences.
- Professional Leadership: Work closely with scientists, engineers and health professionals on leading research efforts to advance the field and inform policy decisionmaking.
- Research: Utilize strong investigatory and writing skills to conduct data analysis, synthesize and aggregate relevant papers or research, edit documents, and support specific PSE research initiatives. Data modeling, statistical analysis, and other technical skills strongly desired.
- Education and Outreach: Engage with the media to provide clear explanations of the current science through print journalism, radio, television, op-eds, and blog posts; communicate scientific concepts directly to citizens, policymakers, advocacy groups; produce summaries of science and rapid response analyses for the public and policymakers; conduct public education through live presentations, panels, lectures, webinars, conferences, symposia, workshops, interviews, and stakeholder meetings.
- Management: Help in the administration of a growing organization; develop and define processes for department workflow; work with the Executive Director and other staff members to ensure advancement of research and communications; manage teams of staff and external collaborators.
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require:
- A proven experience in thought leadership and team management
- A keen interest in improving the public’s understanding of science
- Experience working at the science-policy interface
- A proven record of being able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Scientific and moral integrity
- A sense of humor
Education and experience requirements
PhD or other doctorate in climate science, lifecycle assessment, public health, environmental science or other related discipline preferred. Masters degrees will be considered with 3-10 years of research experience preferred.
Oakland, CA. Remote work will be considered.
SALARY and BENEFITS
This is a full time salaried position with a very competitive benefits package.
Please send a cover letter and a CV to email@example.com by March 6, 2020.
Please put “Methane Scientist” in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.