Boris Lukanov, PhD, joined PSE in 2017 to develop analyses on energy transition pathways that maximize health, equity, and environmental co-benefits. His work focuses on clean energy technologies, energy equity, air quality, energy efficiency, and integrated resource modeling and optimization. Dr. Lukanov authors peer-review papers and technical policy reports, develops interactive data visualization tools, and serves as an expert on technical advisory committees and in regulatory proceedings. He has more than 10 years of multidisciplinary research experience in both experimental and theoretical science. His PhD research focused on the atomic-scale characterization of surfaces and thin films, with applications in photovoltaics, photoelectrochemistry, and computers. His postdoctoral and undergraduate research focused on theoretical simulations and computational modeling of complex fluid systems.
Dr. Lukanov holds a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science from Yale University and a BA in Physics and Astronomy from Wesleyan University.
- Bilsback, K. R., Krieger, E. M., Lukanov, B., Shetty, K., Smith, A. (2022). Incorporating Health and Equity Metrics into the Minnesota Power 2021 Integrated Resource Plan. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Lukanov, B., Makhijani, A., Shetty, K., Kinkhabwala, Y., Smith, A., Krieger, E. M. (2022). Pathways to Energy Affordability in Colorado. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Krieger, E. M., Lukanov, B., McPhail, A., Smith, A., Dillon, A. (2021). Equity-Focused Climate Strategies for New Mexico. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Krieger, E. M., Lukanov, B., McPhail, A., Smith, A., Dillon, A. (2021). Equity-Focused Climate Strategies for Nevada. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Krieger, E. M., Lukanov, B., McPhail, A., Smith, A., Dillon, A. (2020). Equity-Focused Climate Strategies for Colorado. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Lukanov, B., and Krieger, E.M. (2019). Distributed Solar and Environmental Justice: Exploring the Demographic and Socio-Economic Trends of Residential PV Adoption in California. Energy Policy, 134, 110935.
- Krieger, E.M., Makhijani, A., Lukanov, B., and Ramana, M.V. (2017). A Clean Energy Pathway for New Jersey. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Lukanov, B., and Firoozabadi, A. (2016). Molecular Thermodynamic Modeling of Reverse Micelles and Water-in-Oil Microemulsions. Langmuir, 32, 3100.
- Khoshnood, A., Lukanov, B., Firozzabadi, A. (2016). Temperature Effect on Micelle Formation: Molecular Thermodynamic Model Revisited. Langmuir 32, 2175.
- Lukanov, B. and Firoozabadi, A. (2014). Specific Ion Effects on the Self-Assembly of Ionic Surfactants: A Molecular Thermodynamic Theory of Micellization with Dispersion Forces. Langmuir 30, 6373.
- Lukanov, B., Garrity, K., Ismail-Beigi, S., and Altman, E.I. (2014). Formation and atomic structure of ordered Sr-induced nanostrips on Ge(100). Physical Review B 89, 155319.
- Lukanov, B., Garrity, K., Ismail-Beigi, S., and Altman, E.I. (2012). Deciphering the Atomic Structure of a Complex Sr/Ge (100) Phase Via Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and First-Principles Calculations. Physical Review B 85, 195316.
- Giovambattista, N., Loerting, T. Lukanov, B., and Starr, F.W. (2012). Interplay of the Glass Transition and the Liquid-Liquid Phase Transition in Water. Scientific Reports 2, 390.
- Lukanov, B., Reiner, J. W., Walker, F. J., Ahn, C. H., and Altman, E. I. (2011). Formation of Alkaline-Earth Template Layers on Ge(100) for Oxide Heteroepitaxy: Self-Organization of Ordered Islands and Trenches. Physical Review B 84, 075330.
- Cummings, M., Gliga, S., Lukanov, B., Altman, E. I., Bode, M., Barrera, E.V. (2011). Surface Interactions of Molecular C60 and Impact on Ni(100) and Co(001) Film Growth: A Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Study. Surface Science 605, 72.