Elena Krieger, PhD, is the director of research at PSE Healthy Energy, where she oversees the organization’s scientific research efforts. Dr. Krieger joined PSE in 2013 to launch the organization’s work on clean energy. Her research focuses on accelerating the transition to clean and renewable energy resources, and developing transition pathways that realize health, environmental, equity, and resilience co-benefits. Her recent work includes analyzing the integration of energy storage and other distributed energy resources to reduce greenhouse gas and criteria pollutant emissions and increase resilience and clean energy access for underserved communities. She has characterized operational, emissions, health, air quality, and environmental justice measures for power plants across the country, including analysis on opportunities to replace peaker power plants with energy storage. Dr. Krieger has authored numerous peer-reviewed and technical reports, developed interactive data visualization tools, and served on various technical and scientific advisory panels.
Dr. Krieger received her PhD from the Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at Princeton University, where her research focused on optimizing energy storage in renewable energy systems. She currently serves on the California Energy Commission’s Disadvantaged Communities Advisory Group and on the board of the Carbon Lighthouse Association. Krieger holds an AB in Physics and Astronomy & Astrophysics from Harvard University.
- Krieger, E.M., Lukanov, B., McPhail, A., Smith, A., Dillon, A. (2020). Equity-Focused Climate Strategies for Colorado. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Lukanov, B. and Krieger, E.M. (2019). Distributed Solar and Environmental Justice: Exploring the Demographic and Socioeconomic Trends of Residential PV Adoption in California Energy Policy, Volume 134.
- Shonkoff, S.B.C., Hays, J., Hill, L.L., E.M. Krieger, Hughes, D., Hosang, N., and Law, A. (2016). Trump: renewables for self-sufficiency. Nature, 540(7633):341-341.
- Krieger, E.M., Casey, J.A., and Shonkoff, S.B.C. (2016). A Framework for Siting and Dispatch of Emerging Energy Resources to Realize Environmental and Health Benefits: Case Study on Peaker Power Plant Displacement. Energy Policy, 96:302-313.
- Krieger, E.M., Cannarella, J., and Arnold, C.B. (2013). A Comparison of Lead-Acid and Lithium-Based Battery Behavior and Capacity Fade in Off-Grid Renewable Charging Applications. Energy, 60:492–500.
- Krieger, E.M. and Arnold, C.B. (2012). Effects of Undercharge and Internal Loss on the Rate Dependence of Battery Charge Storage Efficiency. J. Power Sources, 210:286–291.
PEER-REVIEWED AND TECHNICAL REPORTS:
- Krieger, E.M., McPhail, A., Blythe, R. (2020). Energy Storage Peaker Plant Replacement Project: Technical and Policy Documentation. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Hill, L.L.,Blythe R., Krieger, E.M., Smith, A., McPhail, A., Shonkoff S.B.C. (2020). The Public Health Dimensions of California Wildfire and Wildfire Prevention, Mitigation and Suppression. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Krieger, E.M., and Czolowski, E. (2018). The Greenhouse Gas Impacts of Proposed Natural Gas Pipeline Buildout in New York. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Krieger, E.M., Makhijani, A., Lukanov, B., and Ramana, M.V. (2017). A Clean Energy Pathway for New Jersey. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Krieger, E.M., McPhail, A., Millstein, D., Shehabi, A., Czolowski, E., Hays, J., Casey, J., and Shonkoff, S.B.C. (2016). The Clean Power Plan in Ohio: Analyzing Power Generation for Health and Equity. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Krieger, E.M., McPhail, A., Millstein, D., Shehabi, A., Czolowski, E., Hays, J., Casey, J., and Shonkoff, S.B.C. (2016). The Clean Power Plan in Pennsylvania: Analyzing Power Generation for Health and Equity. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Hausfather, Z. and Krieger, E.M. (2016). The Impact of Methane Leakage on Achieving Clean Power Plan Targets. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Krieger, E.M. (2014). State of Renewables: U.S. and State-Level Renewable Energy Adoption Rates: 2008-2013. PSE Healthy Energy.