Elena Krieger, PhD, is the Director of Research at PSE Healthy Energy, where she oversees the organization’s scientific research efforts. Dr. Krieger joined PSE in 2013 to launch the organization’s work on clean energy. Her research focuses on accelerating the transition to clean and renewable energy resources, and developing transition pathways that realize health, environment, equity and resilience co-benefits. Her recent work includes analyzing the integration energy storage and other distributed energy resources onto the grid to reduce greenhouse gas and criteria pollutant emissions and to increase resilience and clean energy access for underserved communities. She has characterized operational, emissions, health, air quality and environmental justice measures for power plants across the country, including as part of ongoing research on replacing peaker power plants with energy storage. Dr. Krieger has authored numerous peer-review and technical reports, developed interactive data visualization tools, and served on various technical and scientific advisory panels.
Dr. Krieger received her PhD from the Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at Princeton University, where her research focused on optimizing energy storage in renewable energy systems. She currently serves on the board of the Carbon Lighthouse Association and holds an AB in Physics and Astronomy & Astrophysics from Harvard University.
- Krieger, E.M., McPhail, A., Blythe, R. Energy storage peaker plant replacement project: Technical and policy documentation. PSE Healthy Energy, 2020.
- B. Lukanov and Krieger, E.M. Distributed solar and environmental justice: Exploring the demographic and socioenconomic trends of residential PV adoption in California Energy Policy, Volume 134, November 2019.
- Shonkoff, S.B.C., J. Hays, L.A. Hill, E.M. Krieger, D. Hughes, N. Hosang, and A. Law. Trump: renewables for self-sufficiency. Nature, 540(7633):341-341, 2016.
- Krieger, E.M., J.A. Casey, and S.B.C. Shonkoff. A framework for siting and dispatch of emerging energy resources to realize environmental and health benefits: Case study on peaker power plant displacement. Energy Policy, 96:302-313, 2016.
- E.M. Krieger, J. Cannarella, and C.B. Arnold. A comparison of lead-acid and lithium-based battery behavior and capacity fade in off-grid renewable charging applications. Energy, 60:492–500, 2013.
- E.M. Krieger and C.B. Arnold. Effects of undercharge and internal loss on the rate dependence of battery charge storage efficiency. J. Power Sources, 210:286–291, 2012.
Peer-Reviewed Technical Reports:
- Krieger, E.M. and E. Czolowski. The greenhouse gas impacts of proposed natural gas pipeline buildout in New York. PSE Healthy Energy, 2018.
- Krieger, E.M., A. Makhijani, B. Lukanov and M.V. Ramana. A clean energy pathway for New Jersey. PSE Healthy Energy, 2017.
- Krieger, E.M., A. McPhail, D. Millstein, A. Shehabi, E. Czolowski, J. Hays, J. Casey, and S.B.C. Shonkoff. The Clean Power Plan in Ohio: Analyzing power generation for health and equity. PSE Healthy Energy, 2016.
- Krieger, E.M., A. McPhail, D. Millstein, A. Shehabi, E. Czolowski, J. Hays, J. Casey, and S.B.C. Shonkoff. The Clean Power Plan in Pennsylvania: Analyzing power generation for health and equity. PSE Healthy Energy, 2016.
- Hausfather, Z. and E.M. Krieger. The impact of methane leakage on achieving Clean Power Plan targets. PSE Healthy Energy, 2016.
- Krieger, E.M. State of Renewables: U.S. and state-level renewable energy adoption rates: 2008-2013. PSE Healthy Energy, 2014.