Jessie Jaeger, MPH, MCP, is an environmental health scientist at PSE Healthy Energy, where she focuses on the environmental, human health, and climate impacts of energy production and use in the United States. Jaeger joined PSE in 2020 to support the organization’s work on oil and gas as it pertains to human health and impacts to air, water, and climate.
Domestically, Jaeger has conducted research and prepared technical analyses on a wide variety of projects throughout the United States involving the evaluation of environmental conditions and regulatory compliance issues. Her recent work focuses on the health hazards and risks associated with oil and gas development, production, and transmission, wildfire prevention and mitigation in California, and options for electrification of residential building appliances in the United States.
She has also characterized the vulnerability of groundwater resources to produced water ponds in California, evaluated the environmental and health impacts of oil and gas waste disposal, and highlighted gaps in existing emission control requirements associated with energy production in the United States.
Jaeger has a Master of Public Health (MPH) in Environmental Health Sciences and a Master of City Planning (MCP) in Healthy Cities & Environmental Planning from the University of California, Berkeley. She also received a BS in Environmental Science with a minor in Conservation Biology from the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Rossi R.J., Tisherman R. A., Jaeger J.M., Domen J., Shonkoff S.B.C., DiGiulio D.C. (2023). Historic and Contemporary Surface Disposal of Produced Water Likely Inputs Arsenic and Selenium to Surficial Aquifers. Environmental Science & Technology.
- Cushing L.J., Ju Y., Kulp S., Depsky N., Karasaki S., Jaeger J.M., Raval A., Strauss B., Morello-Frosch R. (2023). Toxic Tides and Environmental Injustice: Social Vulnerability to Sea Level Rise and Flooding of Hazardous Sites in Coastal California. Environmental Science & Technology.
- Lebel E.D., Michanowicz D.R., Bilsback K.R., Hill L.L., Goldman J.S.W., Domen J.K., Jaeger J.M., Ruiz A., Shonkoff S.B.C. (2022). Composition, Emissions, and Air Quality Impacts of Hazardous Air Pollutants in Unburned Natural Gas from Residential Stoves in California. Environmental Science & Technology.
- Nordgaard, C. L., Jaeger, J. M., Goldman, J. S. W., Shonkoff, S. B. C., Michanowicz, D. R. (2022). Hazardous air pollutants in transmission pipeline natural gas: An analytic assessment. Environmental Research Letters, 17(10), 104032.
- DiGiulio, D. C., Rossi, R. J., Jaeger, J. M., Shonkoff, S. B. C., and Ryan, J. N. (2021). Vulnerability of Groundwater Resources Underlying Unlined Produced Water Ponds in the Tulare Basin of the San Joaquin Valley, California. Environmental Science & Technology.
SELECTED TECHNICAL REPORTS:
- Hill, L. L., Jaeger, J. M., Smith, A. (2022). Can Prescribed Fires Mitigate Health Harm? A Review. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Michanowicz D.R., Lebel E.D., Domen J.K., Hill L.L., Jaeger J.M., Schiff J.E., Krieger E.M., Banan Z., Goldman J.S.W., Nordgaard C.L., Shonkoff S.B.C. (2021). Methane and Health-Damaging Air Pollutants From the Oil and Gas Sector: Bridging 10 Years of Scientific Understanding. PSE Healthy Energy.