Lee Ann Hill, MPH, is the director of energy and health at PSE Healthy Energy, where she focuses on the impacts of energy production and use on human health, the environment, and climate. Hill joined PSE in 2016 to support the organization’s environmental health work on oil and gas. Her recent work focuses on the public health dimensions of oil and gas development, carbon management, approaches to wildfire prevention and mitigation in California. She has characterized oil and gas-associated chemical usage and waste streams across multiple states and examined the human health hazards and risks associated with underground gas storage, oil and gas development, and produced water reuse. Intent on sharing her findings with relevant and diverse audiences, she has written commentaries, provided expert testimony, developed data visualization tools, and authored numerous peer-reviewed and technical reports.
Hill received her MPH in environmental health sciences from the School of Public Health at University of California, Berkeley. She also holds a BS in environmental science from Ithaca College.
- Lebel, E.D., Michanowicz, D.R., Bilsback, K.R., Hill, L.L., Goldman, J.S.W., Domen, J.K., Jaeger, J.M., Ruiz, A., Shonkoff, S.B.C. (2022). Composition, Emissions and Air Quality Impacts of Hazardous Air Pollutants in Unburned Natural Gas from Residential Stoves in California. Environ. Sci. and Technol.
- Hill, L.L., Jaeger, J.M., Smith, A. (2022). Can Prescribed Fires Mitigate Health Harm? A Review of Air Quality and Public Health Implications of Wildfire and Prescribed Fire. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Shonkoff, S.B.C., Hill, L.L., Domen, J.K. (2021). Chapter 3: California Produced Water Quality: Implications for Human Health and the Environment. In: An Assessment of Oil and Gas Water Cycle Reporting in California. California Council on Science and Technology.
- Michanowicz, D.R., Lebel, E.D., Domen, J.K., Hill, L.L., Jaeger, J.M., Schiff, J.E., Krieger, E.M., Banan, Z., Goldman, J.S.W., Nordgaard, C.L., Shonkoff, S.B.C. (2021). Methane and Health Damaging Air Pollutants from the Oil and Gas Sector: Bridging 10 Years of Scientific Understanding. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Shonkoff, S.B.C., Hill, L.L. (2020). Analysis of Air Monitoring Data Collected During Oil Field Well Stimulation Treatments in California: Implications for Human Health. A Report Prepared for the California Air Resources Board. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Hill, L.L. and Shonkoff S.B.C. (2020). The Environmental Health Dimensions of Oil and Gas Development in Planetary Health: Protecting Nature to Protect Ourselves. (Samuel Myers and Howard Frumkin, Eds). Island Press.
- Hill L.L., Blythe R., Krieger, E., Smith, A., McPhail, A., Shonkoff S.B.C. (2020). The Public Health Dimensions of California Wildfire and Wildfire Prevention, Mitigation and Suppression. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Hill L.L., Banan Z., Shonkoff S.B.C. (2020). Contextualizing Quantitative Optical Gas Imaging Samples of Methane Emissions from Oil and Gas Activities in Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Shonkoff S.B.C., Hill L.L. (2019). Human health and oil and gas development: A review of the peer-reviewed literature and assessment of applicability to the City of Los Angeles. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Shonkoff S.B.C., Domen J.K., Hill L.L. (2019). Human health and oil and gas development: An assessment of chemical usage in oil and gas activities in the Los Angeles Basin and the City of Los Angeles. PSE Healthy Energy.
- Hill L.L., Czolowski E.D., DiGiulio D.C., Shonkoff S.B.C. (2019). Temporal and spatial trends of conventional and unconventional oil and gas waste management in Pennsylvania, 1991 – 2017. Science of the Total Environment, 674: 623-636.
- Shonkoff S.B.C., Hill L.L., Czolowski E.D., Prasad K., Hammond S.K., McKone T.E. (2017). Human health hazards, risks, and impacts associated with underground natural gas storage in California. In: Long-Term Viability of Underground Gas Storage in California. California Council on Science and Technology.
- Shonkoff S.B.C., Hays J., Hill L., Krieger E., Hughes D., Hosang N., Law A. (2016). Trump: renewables for self-sufficiency. Nature. 540:341.
- Sinton C.W., Hill L., Zerbian C. (2015). Evaluation of heavy metals in sediments downstream from the Ithaca Gun Superfund site. Northeastern Geoscience. 33:1-33.