Patrick Murphy, PhD, is a senior scientist at PSE Healthy Energy, where he researches clean energy transitions with a focus on resilience and energy equity.
Dr. Murphy has 20 years of experience as an energy and systems engineer, operations research analyst, research program manager, and military intelligence officer. He has applied his training and experience to address energy access, emissions reduction and mitigation, and security technologies. He has helped researchers pursue funding from strategic partners and public sector agencies. He researched and implemented environmentally and economically sustainable energy solutions in the United States and Africa, with a focus on resilient energy systems and the economics of reliability. He managed resilient power systems research in the Homeland Security Advanced Research Projects Agency (HSARPA) to prevent and mitigate outages caused by natural and man-made disasters. He consulted for various government and defense agencies to optimize research portfolios for future military systems. Prior to his civilian career, Dr. Murphy was an Army intelligence officer deployed in the former Yugoslavia.
Throughout his work, Dr. Murphy assembled, led, and contributed to collaborative teams of experts from non-governmental organizations, academia, government, and industry to work toward a secure and sustainable future.
Dr. Murphy received his PhD in Operations Research and Master’s in Science Policy from George Washington University, and Bachelor’s Degrees in Electrical Engineering and Political Theory from the University of Notre Dame.
- Twaha, S., Ramli, M.A.M., Murphy, P.M., Mukhtiar, M.U. (2016). Renewable Based Distributed Generation in Uganda: Resource Potential and Status of Exploitation. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews (pp. 786-798).
- Murphy, P.M., Twaha, S., Murphy, I.S. (2014). Analysis of the Cost of Reliable Electricity: A New Method for Analyzing Grid Connected Solar, Diesel and Hybrid Distributed Electricity Systems Considering an Unreliable Electric Grid, with Examples in Uganda. Energy, Volume 66, 1 March 2014, Pages 523-534.
- Murphy, P.M. (2013). Electricity and Development: a Risk-Based Analysis of Grid Extension and Distributed Energy Resources. Society for Risk Analysis, 2013 Annual Meeting, Risk Analysis for Better Policies, 8-11 December, Baltimore, MD.
SELECT PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- N. Vonortas, Murphy, P.M. (2002). “Strategic Innovation Alliances,” Knowledgebase for Sustainable Development an Insight into the Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems. UNESCO.
- Murphy, P.M. co-author responsible for Chapter 9: Risk Management Assessments. In Communications Dependency on Electric Power Working Group Report, Long-Term Outage Study. National Communications System Committee of Principals.
- Murphy, P.M. (March 2014). CE3: Connectivity, Electricity, and Education for Entrepreneurship Catholic Relief Services ICT4D: Building Resilience Through Innovation Conference, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Murphy, P.M. (March 2014). Electricity for ICT4D: Estimating the cost of reliable electricity from grid extension and distributed energy resources [Invited Speaker]. Catholic Relief Services ICT4D: Building Resilience Through Innovation Conference, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Murphy, P.M. (October 2013). Connectivity, Electricity, and Education for Entrepreneurship (CE3) on Energy for Intelligent Communities [Invited Speaker]. Intelligent Communities Forum (ICF) Institute Global Symposium, Canton, OH.
- Murphy, P.M. (March 2012). Employing Energy Efficiency Advances as a Catalyst for Post-Conflict Nation Building [Invited Speaker]. 7th Annual Military Energy Alternatives, Falls Church, VA.
- Murphy, P.M. (Feb 2011). Reviewing Backup Power Needs for Military Bases to Achieve Independence [Invited Speaker and Chair]. 6th annual Military Energy Alternatives conference, Washington, D.C.
- Murphy, P.M. (May 2008) Resilient Electric Grid [Speaker]. International Electrical Infrastructure Assurance Forum, 2nd Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Murphy, P.M. (Nov 2007) Resilient Electric Grid [Speaker]. Australia-US Bilateral Science and Technology Agreement Discussions, Canberra, Australia.
- (Applied) Limb, Scott J. (Palo Alto, CA, US), Murphy, Patrick (San Francisco, CA, US) “2020 DECOY SECURITY BASED ON STRESS-ENGINEERED SUBSTRATES,” United States, Palo Alto Research Center Incorporated (Palo Alto, CA, US) 20200172430.