PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy institute dedicated to supplying evidence based, scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, and climate dimensions of energy production and end use. Our work predominantly focuses on oil and gas development (e.g., “fracking” and enhanced oil recovery), power plants, renewable energy, and energy storage. Our headquarters in Oakland, CA house our positive, dedicated, and high-functioning team.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field for citizens, NGOs, the media, policymakers, agency staff and elected officials by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
The Economics Fellowship is a one-year position. The objective of the successful candidate is to research one or more critical policy issue(s) on the jobs, environmental, or public health dimensions of oil and gas development and/or use in California from an economics perspective. Research topics could also focus on costs of an energy transition away from oil and/or gas. The successful candidate will conduct excellent research, write a final report and are also expected to submit their work to a peer-reviewed journal. The Economics Fellow will work with our staff experts to ensure multidisciplinary rigor and with our communications staff to ensure that the work is properly translated for policymaker and the public to ensure its results are able to inform policy discussions in the State. Briefings and educational meetings with multiple audiences are also expected.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research: utilize strong investigatory and writing skills to conduct data analysis, synthesize and aggregate relevant papers or research, edit documents, and support specific PSE research initiatives. Data modeling, statistical analysis, and other technical skills strongly desired.
- Scientific and Technical Leadership: establish national reputation as a thought leader on the intersection of economics and energy with a focus on oil and gas and/or its interface with transitions to cleaner energy; identify gaps in economic understanding and design research studies on cutting edge issues; produce written assessments of results in peer-reviewed journals, white papers, and other reports; articulate and translate relevant scientific literature into plain language.
- Professional Leadership: work closely with scientists and other professionals on leading research efforts to inform and advance the field; support the development of the research community on emerging economics questions; interact and engage with physicians, engineers and other evidence-based professionals in addressing their need for objective, scientific information; interact with the academy.
- Education and Outreach: engage with the media to provide clear explanations of the current science through print journalism, radio, television, op-eds, and blog posts; communicate scientific concepts directly to citizens, policymakers, advocacy groups, and the media; produce summaries of findings and rapid response analyses for the public and policymakers; conduct public education through live presentations, panels, lectures, webinars, conferences, symposia, workshops, interviews, and stakeholder meetings.
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require:
- A masters or PhD degree in economics, public policy, health policy management or related field.
- A proven experience in thought leadership in their area
- A keen interest in improving the public’s understanding of economics
- Experience working at the science-policy interface
- A proven record of being able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Scientific and moral integrity
SALARY and BENEFITS
This is a one-year fellowship position with potential to extend. This position comes with a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please send a cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “ECONOMICS FELLOW” in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.