PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence based, scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas development (e.g., “fracking” and enhanced oil recovery), power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and water and air quality. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA and also have staff in Chicago, IL, Seattle, WA and Ithaca NY.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field for citizens, NGOs, the media, policymakers, agency staff and elected officials by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
PSE is deploying a network of ~50 air quality monitors in Richmond, CA. The field technician will oversee the deployment of the monitors on the ground and potentially help to supervise and coordinate a small team of co-workers who will be responsible for the sensor installation and maintenance. The role will require flexibility, driving between monitor sites, working closely with the project manager and other team members and responding quickly to changing needs. The role will also require basic technical skills in installing hardware equipment and replacing hardware components. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with deploying air monitoring hardware in an urban environment, managing a small team on the ground, and interacting with local residents and local government officials. The candidate should be self-motivated, flexible, and excited to work in an environment where there is always more to learn.
This is a part-time, one-year position with the possibility of extension.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Network Installation
- Supervise the installation of ~50 monitors at various sites around Richmond and San Pablo. Installation is straightforward and requires basic technical and hardware skills.
- Manage a small team of co-workers if installation of multiple monitors is required at several sites simultaneously.
- Network Maintenance
- Periodically visit monitor sites to perform hardware maintenance and replace air quality sensors and other components.
- Occasionally bring monitors to Oakland or Sacramento for calibration purposes and subsequently re-deploy the monitors in the field.
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require:
- Experience leading and/or working on technical projects
- Experience with air sensors and air monitors is strongly desired but not required
- A degree in engineering or a related field is a plus
- Ability to drive
- A proven record of being able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Scientific and moral integrity
- A sense of humor
Oakland and Richmond, CA
SALARY and BENEFITS
This is a part-time, contractor position. Compensation is hourly at a competitive rate.
Please send a cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2019.
Please put “Field Technician” in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.