PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence based, scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas development (e.g., “fracking” and enhanced oil recovery), power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and water and air quality. Our positive, dedicated, and high-functioning team is based out of Oakland, CA.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions and decisionmaking, helping to level the playing field for citizens, NGOs, the media, policymakers, agency staff and elected officials by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
The GIS and Data Analysis Specialist will work with researchers and scientists across all practice areas at PSE. Typical projects may range from demographic analyses of populations living near fossil fuel infrastructure to managing large environmental and health datasets. The role will require being flexible, working with multiple team members, and responding quickly to changing research needs. Specific initial projects will likely include integrating and cleaning large datasets of air pollutant measurements and effluent and groundwater quality data. The ideal candidate will have deep expertise in performing spatial analysis using GIS, operating database management systems, and conducting statistical analyses. The candidate should be self-motivated, willing to adapt to working on multiple projects, ready to bring new ideas to the table, and excited to work in an environment at the science-policy interface where there is always more to learn and there is always a new frame to put on a problem.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Spatial analysis: perform demographic proximity analyses; map environmental, health and energy infrastructure data; create spatial data visualizations for internal and public use; support numerous PSE research initiatives and studies.
- Database management and analysis: help clean and manage large health, environment and energy datasets; perform statistical analyses to support research questions; integrate temporal and spatial analyses.
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require:
- A Master’s degree or an undergraduate degree with demonstrated experience in Geographical Information Systems, computer science, engineering, energy science, atmospheric science, environmental science, public health, or related field. PhD’s are also welcome to apply.
- Experience working with and managing large datasets and statistical analyses
- Demonstrated research experience with GIS
- Experience with Python, R, Stata, SPSS, Tableau, air quality modeling and/or other analytical and data visualization tools strongly desired
- Scientific writing skills
- A proven record of being able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Scientific and moral integrity
- A sense of humor
Onsite in Oakland, CA preferred; Telecommute considered for right candidate.
SALARY and BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. We provide a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation and sick leave.
Please send a cover letter and a CV to email@example.com by October 1, 2019.
Please put “GIS and Data Specialist” in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.