PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence based, scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas development (e.g., “fracking” and enhanced oil recovery), power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and water and air quality. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field for citizens, NGOs, the media and policy and decisions makers through the generation, translation, and dissemination of scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
PSE Healthy Energy is looking to hire an operations manager with experience and proficiency in human resources, non-profit operations and administration, information technology (IT), and office management for its small but growing staff in Oakland, CA.
The Operations Manager will manage and be responsible for all operational, human resource, and administrative areas of the organization. In addition, the Operations Manager will provide administrative support to the executive director, program directors and other staff. Administrative and logistical support for independent contractors is required on an ad hoc basis.
The primary duties of the Operations Manager is to ensure all core business operations, including but not limited to payroll processing, employee on-boarding, benefits administration, information technology (IT) management, accounts payable, office operations management, and legal compliance requirements are managed and maintained. This position will report directly to the executive director, and will assist the executive director in the rollout and management of existing and new organization-wide programs.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Human Resources and Compliance
- Payroll processing and employee benefits administration as well as benefits compliance (401(k) plan, health insurance)
- On-boarding new employees and assisting in completion of hiring forms and benefits enrollment
- Oversee annual health insurance renewal procedures
- Ensure company compliance (up to date state and federal labor law postings displayed in office, employee notices, payroll reporting, and other miscellaneous state/federal reporting requirements)
- Maintain payments and renewals of workers’ compensation and liability insurance with guidance from insurance support agents and executive director
- Assist staff with benefits or compensation adjustments as needed
- General Operations
- Manage procurement of business purchases (computers, furniture, technology, appliances, software subscriptions, laboratory equipment, etc.)
- Assist staff with configurations and upgrades to workspaces
- Serve as point of contact for current and new vendors, state and federal agencies, and office building property manager
- Information Technology (IT)
- Set up and configure new computers and workstations as needed for employees
- Create work email address and work phone number for new employees, enable access to PSE’s Google for Nonprofits account
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues with office internet connection, computers, phone system, software, printer, etc.
- Maintain technical aspects of PSE’s website (i.e. hosting, restores, backups, redirects, page repairs) and assist with content updates (external technical support is available)
- Contact technical support, or request repairs/installations for equipment as needed
- Familiarity with the following software strongly desired: G Suite/Google for Nonprofits, 8×8, Microsoft Office, Zoom, WordPress, DropBox, Tableau, Neon CRM or any CRM platforms, Mac OS, Microsoft Windows
- Financial Accounting
- Collect and process monthly payables and receivables under the guidance of the executive director and accountants, process employee reimbursements, vendor invoices, and recurring bills (rent, subscriptions, internet/phone service, etc.)
- Maintain digital and paper records of source documents for all payables and receivables
- Deposit mailed-in checks to bank account
- Work with accountants to resolve any financial discrepancies, ensure transactions are entered into bookkeeping software, and assist with the preparation of financial statements for the executive director
- Update company inventory following purchases of tangible assets (computers, furniture, laboratory equipment, etc.)
- Office Management
- Ensure office and common areas are well-kept and clean, including kitchen and conference room
- Maintain contact with building property manager, communicate any relevant updates to staff (upcoming construction, fire drills, etc.)
- Submit repair requests to property manager and oversee completion of repairs
- Ensure emergency preparedness for staff: serve as lead during emergency events and point of contact for emergency services if needed. Maintain adequate emergency supply of food and water, stocked first aid kid, lead staff during emergency drills, replace fire extinguisher per requirements of City of Oakland Fire Department
- Maintain well-stocked inventory of office supplies
- Administrative Support
- Facilitate bi-weekly all hands meetings for staff
- Schedule meetings, create conference lines and virtual meetings
- Organize large meetings and company events, including selection of catering services and procuring event space
- Set up and take down meeting equipment (e.g. web cam, projector)
- Assist with booking travel accommodations
- Collect mail daily
- Make copies and prepare forms and other paperwork
- Manage ad hoc logistics as needed (faxes, shipping, deliveries, etc.)
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require:
- Multiple years of experience or demonstrated equivalent proficiency in the areas of human resources, employee benefits, compensation, and compliance. Familiarity with California employer compliance laws strongly desired.
- Prior experience in office management, including maintenance of office equipment and technology (computers, phones, etc.)
- Experience or ability to learn IT management (e.g. setting up a computer for new employee, configuring internal email systems, video conference software, updating PSE’s website, troubleshooting Internet connectivity issues, etc.)
- General understanding of nonprofit/business operations and procedures required
- Experience with financial accounting or managerial accounting desirable, but not required
- Experience in nonprofit-specific management and operations, or small-to-medium businesses, environments desirable, but not required
- The ability to take on new projects and provide administrative/logistical support as needed by the staff with little notice
- Comfortable with being flexible and managing work across different areas of the organization, with the expectation that multiple projects and deliverables may occur simultaneously
- Professionalism, thoroughness, resourcefulness, and attention to detail are required.
- Strong communication skills and leadership skills
- Be friendly, personable, willing to help and have a sense of humor
- Strong problem-solving skills
- A proven record of being able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Scientific and moral integrity
- Bonus: interest or background in environmental issues, energy, climate policy, or environmental justice
SALARY and BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. We provide a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation and sick leave.
Please send a cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 19, 2019.
Please put “OPERATIONS MANAGER” in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.